Top 10 Item’s for your Birth Bag
Every mom to be has had those panic attack moments during their pregnancy about what to pack in the birth bag. We think to ourselves “What if I forget something super important” or ” What if this, what if that”… honey- take a deep breath and enjoy this list of my favorite items to bring in your birth bag!
Being a birth and newborn photographer, I am so honored to be invited in these special moments for all my clients. Birth photography is hands down one of my favorite types of sessions to document. I’ve photographed over 30 births since 2012, had 2 babies of my own and have been a part of many births for friends and family as well, so I come bearing some knowledge (and giggles) for you to glean some wisdom on what to pack in that darn hospital birth bag that has been plaguing your thoughts at night!
Top 10 Item’s for Your Birth Bag
- Your makeup bag and toiletries bag. PLEASE don’t forget your toothbrush and toothpaste! Don’t be like me with my second child and completely forget to pack the important mascara and toothbrush. My favorite mascara? Better than Sex Waterproof by TooFaced Cosmetics. It’s amazing-it lengthens, strengthens and is totally water proof- so when you give birth and see that gorgeous little human being put on your chest, you can shed some tears and not worry about mascara running down your cheeks.
- Your birth plan. If you’ve one, of course. You’ll want to have your important documents like your ID and insurance info too. Need a cool birth plan? Check out The Bump for their free downloadable PDF birth plan!
- Your favorite water. Yes… I am an avid water drinker (along with lactose free vanilla lattes… but you “shouldn’t” have a coffee during your birth…) and I love my bottled water from Crystal Geyser. You’re going to be SOOOOO THIRSTY after you have that baby… you’ll want to have access to a comfort that is simple- and THAT is your favorite water.
- The Boppy. God’s greatest gift to nursing moms since the regular pillow. I honestly can tell you I had 3-4 different boppy’s during the nursing days. One in the car, one by the couch, one by my bed and one that traveled around the house or wherever I needed it. I even have one in the studio for my newborn clients and my nursing days have been over for almost 4 years now 😉 BEST INVENTION EVER. It’s a little tough to actually fit this in your birth bag, but your honey can carry it for you 😉
- Cute Pajamas and a stunning delivery gown. Girlfriend… don’t bring the jammies that your grandma gave you at your baby shower (you know the one I’m talking about… the grandma looking nightgown mumu that makes you look like your in your 80’s). There is a time and place for ugly jammies- and the hospital is not one of them. DO get comfy jammies though. Something easy to sleep in, walk around in and jammies that you wont worry about revealing any kind of leakage (from the front and the back…). The gown below… I am OBSESSED with Pink Blush. Their gowns, clothes… everything. Go check them out!
- Essential Oils, a good carrier oil and tennis balls. You’re probably thinking “What kind of combination is that, Jules?” Essential oils are amazing. IF used properly of course (oh my gosh… do not ingest any EO’s please), essential oils can make your labor more calm and peaceful. My favorite carrier oils are fractionated coconut oil and sweet almond oil. They absorb well into your skin and your honey/birthing partner can rub your lower back and shoulders with some EO’s and carrier oils. Those tennis balls are for pressure on your lower back. Bring 2 or 3. I promise you that you will thank me later if you haven’t already been told about the tennis balls. P.S. Plant Therapy is my FAVORITE brand on the market. Their oils are bomb.com and therapeutic grade for a fraction of the price of some other well known companies.
- Slippers. With non-slip grip at the bottom. The hospital ones are ugly and don’t fit right… on anyone. Don’t spend too much though- you’ll probably forget these at the hospital or birthing center when you leave!
- Bathing suit for your honey if your planning on a water birth! Simply put, your honey probably doesn’t want to be in their skivvies while you are pushing out that precious bundle of joy.
- A bluetooth speaker and a loaded playlist on Spotify or Apple Music. Why? Music heals the soul. Music calms you. And what better way to bring a perfect little human into the world with Bach, or Rascal Flats, Hillsong or Metallica playing in the background! My ABSOLUTE favorite speaker in the world is the UE Megaboom. It’s pricey but 100% worth it- and it’s waterproof (legit… I take mine to the river every summer and sit with it in the water) for that water birth you are planning!
- Last but surely not least- an amazing nursing bra. You’ll need like 10. Get one with no underwire… cause comfort is key during the beginning stages of nursing! And get breast pads. No one really ever told me about the breast pads… but when my milk came in and I woke up with a bed drenched in boob milk… I was a little mortified. Save yourself the mortification and get some boob pads. Medela was my favorite brand- for some reason they just were amazing. But I know other brands are great too! Use what’s best for YOU!
Remember ladies… this is YOUR birth. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You be confident, strong and rock your birth.
And don’t forget to hire an amazing birth photographer (you know I was going to throw a shameless plug in here somewhere). Let a birth photographer document the moments we usually forget during your labor and afterwards… but should remember forever. If you’re a PNW gal looking for a photographer, let’s chat!
I hope you enjoyed my little rendition of “the 10 best things to bring in your birth bag”! I’ve got many more new blogs to share with you! If you’ve got blog suggestions on what YOU want to see on here regarding Birth, Newborns, Maternity… anything that has to do with babes- let me know in the comments below!
xoxo, Julie | The Newborn Artist Seattle and Puyallup’s Premier Birth & Newborn Photographer
quick note- I have some affiliate links on here cause well… its fun and amazon prime is a guilty pleasure of mine.